Saturday, April 6, 2013

First Impressions

Easy, unfilled flight from DFW helped me carry a smile into Immigration and Customs.  Greeting government workers in their own language with a smile on a face worked wonders:  the Immigration woman suggested that she drive me around the country for a month if I would invite her to the states and do the same for her. I politely declined and was through Customs and out the door in less than 25 minutes.

The guy who rented a room to me through Air B 'n B had told me to call him to connect because he would be waiting nearby in his pickup.   However, my phone didn't work, and there was no wifi in the airport to use Skype.  Through the myriad offers of taxis, one of the drivers gave me $.25 to use a pay phone.  Then, when that didn't work, another used his cell phone to start making calls to the numbers I had been given.  Despite the fact that he asked me for a tip as I got into the pickup, I see him as a kind stranger who was helping a traveler in need.  There were so many other possible outcomes, the best of which would have cost me about $30 for a taxi.

My hosts are friendly and eased me into Panama City.  We drove for 20 to 30 minutes from the airport through streets, signs, and traffic that reminded me of Puerto Vallarta.  I'll find out tomorrow what it's like in the daylight.

No comments:

Post a Comment