Friday, April 26, 2013

Water to Water

The humidity here creates a constant human body water cycle, taking in and expelling, so my clothes are usually drenched by the time that I finish the 10 minute walk to school in the morning.  I spent the morning doing number identification with pre-kindergartners, and if you don't think that that is blue-collar labor, try it some time.  At recess I was playing catch with one student, then two, then three, then suddenly there were about eight different types of balls coming my way at once.  All of the kids on the playground were laughing, the teachers were falling out of their chairs, and an uproarious time was had by all.

School was let out before noon, but I waited around for my couchsurfing host to coordinate a volunteer project.  After walking to the library with two friends, we walked back to her house to say goodbye.  I was switching  my lodging to Cabinas Jimenez because my host had some new surfers coming in for the night. I checked in, got all of my things dispersed in the room, then took a kayak out for a paddle around the bay.  About 1/2 an hour out, I ran into the front of a squall, so I did a U-turn and enjoyed my first afternoon downpour since leaving Ashland.

Tonight, I'm enjoying a beer, watching a ball game on the laptop, and basking in the first air-conditioned room since I left Panama City.  Tomorrow I'm up early to see whether I can help get the kindergartners ready for their parade, after which will be a local bake sale and fair.  Then I'll be checking with all of the local tour companies to see whether I can glom onto a group hike into Corcovado National Park to get the group rate.  I've been conserving money on this trip, but the promise of exotic bird and animal sightings will make it worth the expense of hiring a guide.





No comments:

Post a Comment